Friday, January 18, 2013

that's my roomie.

I can't imagine life without this girl, in Charlotte or anywhere. Tail is the most real kind of authentic, she's goofier than anyone ever, and she is an artist in every sense of the word. She verbally processes everything with unarticulated, but perfectly intentional & carefully chosen words. She paints and draws and sculpts and sketches strangers across Starbucks. She sings melody, and lets me harmonize, and she plays piano and guitar. And, Taylor writes so, so beautifully. Talented, much? I could go on and on about how proud I am of the grace with which she has walked through ridiculous circumstances and the things she has taught me about freedom and courage and joy along the way. For Taylor's birthday, we spent the weekend in the woods hammocking, singing, painting, picnicking, and journaling. It was dreamy, and fortunately my camera came on the playdate too : ). 
Hollow us out.
Scrape away those chords
that line us—
beautiful rows in twine,
banding. Branding us in

a cushion of aging layers, widening fears.
Call us
out of the captivity
we created with our systems,
we will feel light,
unarmed by our excesses
and unraveled. With threads
and scraps below our knees,
we will kneel;
We need, remembering
how it feels to be
lacking the independent stance
and remembering need.
empty and not
selfish, but allowing
the hallowed be.

Rising:
Wake, O sleeper
from your bed
of closed dreams
and comforts,
to open up. To
unwrap the parcel. Living
rest is at your door,
and it goes
by the name
of Grace.
-Taylor Thomas





























She's also my favorite person in the world to photograph, because it's the most fun ever... See older posts here, here, here and here.

4 comments:

  1. I am speechless that you have in every way captured my most precious daughter. Haley you are indeed a truly gifted and blessed photographer. Love you and your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of these so much. I love that you spent the birthday weekend doing the things you love most and creating and picture taking and painting and just being two great friends together. You are both an awesome example of living life to the full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is real friendship. This is what I strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are fantastic. you capture tay in such a real way and i love y'all' so much and getting to see your friendship. incredible.

    ReplyDelete